Workplace supports

Your local MDA Fieldworker is familar with these services and can help you with accessing these and are available through your local branch.

This is extracted from the Carers Guide provided by the Ministry of Social Development. There is more detail about what each of these options entail in the guide. Click here to be taken to the guide page.

Your rights at work

What can you expect from your employer?

Negotiating employment agreements

The Employment Relations (Flexible Working Arrangements) Amendment Act 2007 gives carers the right to ask for changes to their working arrangements. Working arrangements cover hours of work, days of work  and/or place of work. Flexibility in the arrangements could include part-time work, compressed hours, shift work, working from home, more time off in school holidays and adjusted starting and finishing times for the work day.

Make a time to talk to your employer to work through your request for flexible work and any questions or concerns your employer may have. You need to make your request in writing. Employers are required to consider and respond to requests within 3 months. They can say no to your request, but only on the grounds provided by the Act. Learn more at the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's website: and search for 'flexible work'.

Who qualifies?
You need to have been with the employer for at least 6 months before making the request. You can only make one formal request in any 12-month period, but you can talk to your employer informally at any time about varying your working arrangements.

Help with balancing work and study with a carers role

Careers New Zealand
Careers New Zealand is a government organisation that helps people match their talents and aspirations with the needs of employers and the economy. Free information and interactive tools are available online at or by talking in confidence to a careers advisor - call 0800 222 7330800 222 733.

Work and Income
Work and Income can help you plan for or move into paid work or training. Contact WINZ

StudyLink is a service of the Ministry of Social Development. StudyLink seeks to ensure that students get the finance and support they are entitled to so they can complete their study. Visit for information about StudyLink help. You can also apply online for a Student Allowance, Student Loan or course-related costs.