Financial Assistance

The MDA Member Discretionary Fund

The purpose of this fund is to provide discretionary grants for individuals with a neuromuscular condition to access opportunities and specialised resources that enable them to achieve their full potential.

Individuals diagnosed with a neuromuscular condition who are registered members of the MDA are eligible to apply. For children and young persons aged 17 years or younger, a parent or guardian can apply on their child's behalf.

Grant applications will be considered on a case by case basis. Grants will not exceed $1,500.00 per year, per individual member.

The closing date for this round is 31st October.

For more details click here and for the panel guidelines click here.

For an application form  click here.  

Government Financial Assistance you may be eligible for:

Your local the MDA Fieldworker is familar with these services and can help you access these.
This information is extracted from the Carers Guide provided by the Ministry of Social Development. There is more detail about what each of these options entail in the guide - Click here 

Income support for carers
- Supported Living Payment - contact WINZ

Income support for the person cared for
- NZ Superannuation - contact Senior Services
-Veteran's Pension - contact Senior Services
-Supported Living Payment - contact WINZ
-Jobseeker Support - contact WINZ

Help with extra costs
-Disability Allowance - contact WINZ
-Assistance for Hardship - contact WINZ

Help with medical costs
-Pharmaceutical Subsidy Card - contact your pharmacist/chemist
-Community Services Card - contact Senior Services
-High Use Health Card - contact your family doctor

Help when someone has died
-Funeral Grant - contact WINZ

Help with housing costs
-Accommodation Supplement - contact WINZ
-Rates Rebate Scheme - contact your local council
-House Modification Costs - contact WINZ

Extra help if you are caring for a child
-Child Disability Allowance - contact WINZ
-Working for Families Tax Credits - contact IRD
-Childcare Assistance - contact WINZ

Extra help for people 65 years and over
-SuperGold Card - contact Senior Services

National Travel Assistance for Health Services
People who are eligible under this Scheme may receive assistance with travel and accommodation costs when they need to travel often or for long distances, need to stay in or near hospital for long periods (for example, to be close to a neonatal baby), or are young or need a supporter when using publicly funded specialist health or disability services -contact your local District Health Board's (DHB's) travel co-ordinator, a relevant outpatient clinic, ward administrator, a hospital social worker or your specialist, or • visit the NTA web page at and click on 'your health' then select 'travel assistance', or call 0800 281 2220800 281 222 FREE.0800 2

Total Mobility Scheme
The Total Mobility Scheme is a subsidised taxi service. It works using vouchers or electronic cards that give a 50 per cent discount on normal taxi fares, up to a specified level. The purpose of the scheme is to assist eligible people with impairments to access appropriate transport to enhance their community participation. 
-Find out how the scheme works in your area by contacting the total mobility co-ordinator at your regional council, or Auckland Transport. For further information visit and search on 'total mobility'.

Mobility Parking Permit Scheme
The Scheme is open to people of all ages, and you qualify if:
• you are unable to walk and always rely on the use of a wheelchair, or
• your ability to walk distances is severely restricted by a health condition or disability for example, you require the use of mobility aids, experience severe pain or breathlessness.
-contact CCS Disability Action on 0800 227 2255 Or go to their mobility parking website which has more information about the Scheme and how to apply.

Vehicle modifications
Access to vehicle modification funding is quite limited and is dependent upon your personal situation. Vehicle modifications may include:
• for drivers - hand controls, seating, ramps, hoists and wheelchair carriers
• for passengers - special seating, safety restraints, ramps, hoists and wheelchair carriers.
In some situations, funding may be available to support the purchase of a vehicle.
-Call your local hospital and ask for Community Health Services (most EMS Assessors are usually based there) or talk to your GP.
• To find out more, visit and search 'equipment and modification services'.

Lottery grants
The Lottery Individuals With Disabilities Committee considers applications from people throughout New Zealand who have significant mobility and communication-related disabilities.
-Applications can be made at any time. You can download an information sheet and application form at Phone 0800 824 8240800 824 824 or email for information or advice.